When are fansigns?
To be truthful, whenever the hell they want to have them. Most of the time you’ll find that fansigns will happen during a promotional period (meaning the time in which a group takes to promote their song on music shows, etc) . Sometimes they’ll have one randomly at a store that they are currently promoting. It’s not too random, but you have to be on the look out constantly for these opportunities!
How to find out when/where they are:
You will definitely have to do your own research there! Be aware of a groups’ promotional period or activities. They will usually show when they’re having a fansign on their calenders or on their websites/daum cafes. Join their websites/daum cafes/official twitters! If you want to even have a chance at any of these, you have to keep yourself updated at ALL times!
However, there are two main websites you can check for announcements on when there are fansigns. Those two websites are Hottracks and Synnara. Yes, they are all in Korean and I suggest you start learning it or use Google Translate to navigate.
How to apply:
Most fansigns expect the exact same things. Buy the MOST RECENT CD, or the CD they ask for in the notice from the store before a certain time, fill out a little paper with some information and then go to the appointed time and place if you get in. If they are promoting for a store, they will ask you to spend a certain amount of money for a ticket.
You MAY buy more than one CD to have higher chances (1CD = 1entry). Some people will buy up to 200/300 CDs for a fansign. Kind of insane right? But it happens. I like to just buy one and bet on luck. Again, most of these fansigns are by LOTTERY so it’s not guaranteed if you buy a CD that you will get in. And you will ONLY GET IN ONCE. Aka, you get one CD signed and that’s all. You don’t get to go into the line twice.
If you want to apply, I suggest reading the notice posted on the webpage, it will give you exact instructions as to how to apply.
If you have luck, your notice will look something like this. Most of the time, it doesn’t. My Korean isn’t good enough to understand them most of the time either so I use a translating program or ask a co-teacher or a friend who understands more Korean to translate it for me. I suggest you find a friend that can do this for you or keep an eye out on your twitter feed because someone will usually fill you in on the details if you’re too shy to ask for help.
It looks intimidating, but it’s not. Most notices will have the same sort of information and you just have to know what key words to look for.
일시: Date/Time in which the fansign will take place.
참여방법: How to participate –
- There will usually be a date here, telling how long you have to buy the album. (3/13 부터 3/16까지 means you have from the 13th to the 16th to buy the album. I suggest going before the last day because sometimes they’ll put away the lottery box even before the said time)
- look for the word 명, which will have numbers in front of it (150명 in this notice). This tells you how many people will be able to get in. In this notice, only 150 people will be able to get into this fansign.
- 추첨: Lottery. There are OCCASIONAL first come, first serve (선착순), but they are few and far between and usually for groups that no one knows.
- look for the word 점 and the word next to it will tell you which store you’ll have to go to buy your CD from.
당첨자 확인: When you’ll find out and where to find the list.
진행방법: What to do IF you win. This part varies from case to case, another reason you’ll want to learn Korean or have a friend help IF you get in.
How to find out if you won
If you’ve been reading along, you’ll see that the notice will tell you where to look. Most of the time it will be exactly where you found the notice. Hottracks and Synnara tend to post their list of winners on their notice board, so just follow the links above to find out. Sometimes they will direct you in the notice to a cafe of some sort that will require you to sign up for something or other. Another thing I can’t help you with, you’ll just have to use Google Translate like I do ^^;
What to do if you get in:
Congratulations! Your life is complete! Go to the location as stated in the notice about an hour before it begins (just to be safe) and ALWAYS REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR ID AND YOUR CD. If you don’t, I can’t guarantee they’ll let you in. You also can’t check in for your friends, so make sure they come with you, or they go and check in for themselves. It is almost always first come first serve. You’ll get in if you are in the list of winners, but they will place everyone in order in which they came. So if you want to be one of the first in the line, make sure you come early!
DOs and DON’Ts:
- Be respectful at ALL TIMES. Don’t shout in their face. You may ask for handshakes, but don’t expect to get one. Don’t just grab them or touch them. It’s rather inappropriate, right?
- Don’t insult members you might dislike.
- When they tell you to move on, move on. There are other people in the line, not only you.
- You’ll only have but a few seconds, make it count!
- You may bring them presents and letters! This is a good time to give it to them.
- Pictures are usually not allowed in a closed fansign. But if you see ppl taking picture blatantly, feel free to take pictures yourself! Otherwise, follow the guidelines of the staff.
And that is that! I really can’t help you more than that. You’ll have to take the initiative to find out times and place.
Any and ALL questions on where/when a fansign is WILL NOT be answered! I’m not that nice ㅋㅋㅋㅋ